Am I a good fit for Powertrak 2D Product Configurator?
Ideal 2D Configurator candidates are (but not limited to): 1.) Manufacturers that deal in make-to-order products composed of existing parts. 2.) Want to provide a simple, intuitive ordering experience for customers and partners. 3.) Want to reduce training and knowledge burden on users. 4.) Organizations that have the capability to produce or acquire art and product data to drive the configuration experience.
Who is not a good fit?
Less than Ideal 2D Configurator candidates are: 1.) Organizations with engineer-to-order process flows, inventing new parts during the sales process. 2.) Organizations that deem DriveWorks or other collaborative CAD solutions appropriate for its audience. 3.) Organizations that do not have artwork or no means to obtain source materials to be used to create art.
What are the product data requirements?
Organizations are required to provide product master and pricing, full dimensional data (height, width, depth) on all products, and information about how products attach to each other (again with dimensions).
For example - The server rack has an area 19" wide and 77" tall where rackmount components are bolted, divided into 44 - 1.75" slots, starting 3" down, 1.5" in, and 1" deep from the top left of the front product face. In addition, authoring tools (Visual Attachment Point Editor) reduce but do not necessarily eliminate this need.
What are the 2D art requirements?
Identify what viewing angles are needed (front, rear, right, left, top, bottom). *Note: Choose the most important angles needed. Not all angles are needed to be implemented!
For each product visually represented, we need:
- An image for each viewing angle (PNG format preferred)
- A 2D CAD drawing in .DWG or .PNG format for each viewing angle
- All images and CAD drawings need to be at the same scale
How can I get art assets for this project?
Start with whatever you currently have
- Manufacturing-quality CAD models
- Sales and marketing assets
- Internal staff produces 2D renderings Use tools to refine what you have.
- Simplygon or PolyTrans can reduce manufacturing models down to the level required for 2D Unity.
- Use a 3rd party to produce model/images. AutoDesk or Orchid3D will take Pro/E or Solidworks drawings and produce unity models.